Too much trying to hit deepstacked passively

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much trying to hit deepstacked passively

I think i have noticed a leak in my Game, so far i am only playing mtt.

at the Beginning I am deepstacked I try to Flop a set or to Flop the nut flush draw or the nut straight

But I am trying to passively

Hit or miss like

thats why I am most often quite shorter stacked when reentry Period is over

when I hit big or find 1 or more Premium bluff opportunities I am then not short stacked and have a chance to go deep

And when I am deep I think I am doing quite well

shorter stacked/ icm/ Final table play and so on

but I should find myself more often in deep stacked situations later on after reentry period

I can for sure say I am winning mtt player over a large sample size but not a Big Winner

this could be 1 reason

thoughts?

Are you guys confident in your deep stacked skills and do you think you come deep often enough?
    Last edited by Guido; 07-22-2019, 11:09 AM.

Early stage is where I'm the least confident in my poker game. I'm similar to you in that I'm probably too tight early. When I do flop a set, etc and get a stack, I feel pretty comfortable with my game at the lower stake levels.

I got one of JL's books on small stake tourney's on my Kindle and plan to read this week. Hopefully he addresses early stage play somewhere in there.

Comment

If I was confident in my skills I wouldn't be on here every single day trying to get better

Comment

Guido , i do not want to comment too much on your poker skill level , but i would say i play MTT similar way as you , in early stage , but the way i play cash game would be different , first when i play MTT most player are weaker then me and i have much post flop skill vs them , the reward of early double is not worth the risk of early out of MTT.

i think the right way to play deep stack MTT early stage should be play like cash game , but i play differently because i want to reduce variance and increase the chances i go deeper in the tourney , i think i should change , when early stage MTT play more like cash game.

in cash i am always trying to choose move that has the highest ev move, while in MTT i dont know i feel that highest ev move might also result to high variance , the pros of getting many more chip in early stage does not balance or worth the risk of going broke early in MTT, that what i assume ,
        In MTT i rather or like to choose move that has high win rate might not have the highest ev move .

i mean thats me and i am not saying i am correct in any way .

i dont know about JL, danial negr,Phill hellmuth , they play rather passively preflop when in early stage , unlike tom dwan , victor blom, phil ivey , who is the better cash game player group , you guys should able identiy , who win more MTT , you guys also can google it out to find more.

Comment

I feel like I'm just the opposite. I tend to have a lot of chips early but get too tight near the bubble. I feel like I could just play premium hands and fold into the final 3 or 4 tables but I'm usually short stacked at that point.

Comment

• Guido
            Guido commented
            Editing a comment
            Classic mtt strategy said play tight at the Beginning and built a tight Image and loosen up significantly later

The "Tight is Right" mantra for early stages of MTTs is fine if your opponents play well. If you're playing against poor players you just need to see more flops, preferably in position. The reason is that poor players will pay you off when you hit, I'm often amazed how light some players will call off 100BB+ with marginal holdings.

Playing aggressively doesn't mean making crazy bluffs and putting your stack in with a draw. If your opponent is calling off with TPGK, then that's a big error. But you must learn to value bet these guys when you likely have the best hand, especially on the river when your opponents mistakes will be most profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post
            The "Tight is Right" mantra for early stages of MTTs is fine if your opponents play well. If you're playing against poor players you just need to see more flops, preferably in position. The reason is that poor players will pay you off when you hit, I'm often amazed how light some players will call off 100BB+ with marginal holdings.

Playing aggressively doesn't mean making crazy bluffs and putting your stack in with a draw. If your opponent is calling off with TPGK, then that's a big error. But you must learn to value bet these guys when you likely have the best hand, especially on the river when your opponents mistakes will be most profitable.

Was just reading another thread here which featured a player getting an opponent to stack off vs TPTK; those guys didn't exist in my events at the WSOP, except in the Senior tourney.

Comment

I am still struggling with the early Levels. I could Post this again..

I want to avoid mistakes at the early stages. I dont want to overplay marginal spots. I feel like they call down very lightly deepstacked so I am playing too nitty.

at the Moment i am so often card Dead so that this early stages leak appears More significantly

Comment

• kkep
                kkep commented
                Editing a comment
                You have to play your range. What do you mean by playing to passively?
                Are you open limping deep stacked with lets say suited connectors like 87s from UTG1+?

The tournaments that I have final tabled, I gained huge stacks early on by playing loose. Now, this is kind of my style, there's nothing wrong with playing tight and getting chips but it depends how you apply pressure later...

Comment

In a local Live evironment i started to limp More often . This a Step Backwards . It is Because they call too often preflop, on Flop and on turn. So i actually can

limp play a small pot , or
                i can raise and hope a simple cbet gets through on quite dry Boards or

I need to triple barrel (allin) quite often what I want to avoid often times Because if it fails it is quite costly and it is actually not necessary deep stacked especially vs a Soft field.
                thoughts?

Comment

• kkep
                  kkep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well idk if this is good advice or not. Daily’s play that way and I hate it. So generally I don’t even play those hands first in unless maybe from the CO and Bu until a few levels tick off and the game starts playing more honestly.

Guido I was somewhat the same way. When I started watching JonathanLittle's earlier content, I thought I was doing most things right and just needed to pick up some guidance around the edges.... Turns out I was doing everything wrong. I was betting when I should check, checking when I should bet, playing all my hands wrong, except AA and sets. LOL.

In the early stages of a tournament you should generally play the same as in a cash game. The only difference is that you should be somewhat less willing to go broke and pay very close attention to stack sizes. As they get smaller, your bet sizes should be smaller, both to protect your own stack and to keep opponents reacting generally the way you want them to.

Comment

Working...
                X