Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold too often to 3 bets

I am sure I fold too often to 3 bets preflop

oop i am folding very often unless it roughly Max 2.7x - 3,0x raise and I have a very strong Hand or a Hand that Flops well (for instance A5s, J9s, 78s, pairs)

But I am folding everything Else almost always for instance ATO, jko, qko, t9o

in Position it can be very differently depending on the size

Do I fold too often to 3 bets ?

thoughts ?

As is always in poker, the correct answer is "It depends".

If your 3-bettor is some nit who only 3-bets when he has a premium hand, then it's quite difficult to fold too much.

Against an aggressive 3-bettor, if you're folding more then 75% of the time, then he can 3-bet you with ATC and show an immediate profit.

A word of caution. Calling a 3-bet oop too often is likely to be a bigger leak than folding too much oop to a 3-bet. Hands like A5s, J9s and 87s are not hands you should be flatting with oop. In fact, against a sizeable 3-bet (2.7x-3x open raise), you should either fold or 4-bet, either for value or as a bluff.

It's a complex subject, but it all comes down to your opponents 3-betting range. Don't do what I used to do and start 4-bet bluffing players who don't hace a 3-bet bluffing range!

Comment

• Guido
      Guido commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx Welcome to the forum, very good Post

Which Hands do you prefer flatting oop to 3 bets ?

Comment

If my opponent is not a particularly good player, and likely to pay me off if I make a strong hand, then I might start flatting with suited broadway and small/medium pairs. This assumes we are deep and the 3-bet is less than 3x the original raise.

The problem, of course, is that if you're opponent is not a good player, then he's probably only 3-betting a linear range, and you sometimes end up being owned when you flop a reasonable hand.

Comment

In almost every live tourney I play (typ sub 500 entry live) 3 bets are almost always a premium hand. Once the run goes deep, this is no longer so. So early; fold, late; use a read. In the middle, if you have a read, use it.

Comment

• Guido
          Guido commented
          Editing a comment
          Sometimes you really have good advices for instance small bet small bet Bomb bet from Fun players mean Monster or this one

• Paul Khoo
          Paul Khoo commented
          Editing a comment
          bob is sharing with his life experience , experience do help in life. Guido if you are a CEO of a company will you hire someone that have long experience or you will hire someone that study very high PHD not much experience or a mix or what ever, i dont think there is a fix answer for everything

• CrazyEddie
          CrazyEddie commented
          Editing a comment
          Pays to cultivate the image of a nit ... only to reap profit later

When reacting a a 3 bet the first thing you have to consider is the range of the 3 bet. Always start with the range a player is supposed to have, then make adjustments from there.

Here is an example:

You open 3x from MP. The button 3 bets to 9BBs.

Let's look at his range:

The range he is supposed to have is roughly, 3 - 4% value + about 6 - 8% bluff range.

Then how do you adjust from here?

What stage of the MTT? Pre-antes, players tend to play a bit tighter, post antes they tend to play standard to loose.

What type of player is this? Tight players might not balance their value range, even post ante. Is this player loose, and bluffing too often? Do you have a read?

What level of MTT is this? What is the average for the player pool? Weaker players pools tend to be unbalanced towards value, especially in the earlier stages.

So let's just assume that we now come to the conclusion that this player has a balanced 9% range. (3% value - 6% bluffs). What do we do then?

First you can call any hand in the top 50% of the total range. So you can call any hand in the top 4.5% of hands. Your 4 bet for value is about the top 25% of the total range. So about 2% is your 4 bet for value. Balance your 4 bets with another 4% bluffs. Lastly, any hand that has implied odds can be a call.

So this is probably my response to this particular situation:

If this player had a tight/unblanced 3 bet range of premium hands only (as many weak players might have) this is probably my reaction:

In this range, you have to be very cognizant of how the tight range affects your post flop decisions, especially with the "implied odds" hands and when they flop one pair. Flopping a T with KTs on a standard flop would probably make your top pair a premium made hand or at least a marginal made hand, however, against the tight range, if he barrels, it is likely a junk hand.

(These ranges assumed first level 200 BBs. the value of these implied odds hands change as stacks are about 100BBs or less.)

Also, you can overfold against a tight range. Overfolding is not an error against an unbalanced range.

Comment

Working...
        X