Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kkep
    commented on 's reply
    JL wouldn't have added him to the team if he didn't think his lessons are valuable.

I feel like a lot of what AF teaches is well suited for the stakes I play.

That said I get mixed up sometimes learning two different approaches simultaneously.
    Since I have always played a mostly exploitative style I want to focus more on GTO. It's
    for that reason I have recently put AF lessons on the back burner for now. But
    everything I've looked at from him to that point as been pretty solid IMO.

BTW according to AF he went broke because of poor bankroll management,

• allin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bentley View Post

Do you know how many pros went bust or lost a lot before improving?
    No I don't - who does? I do know that the primary object of playing poker is to win money though. Whose advice would you rather follow in a frequently encountered situation, the guy who's won millions (JL) or the guy who admits he took up coaching because he went busto? (And shouts a lot for some reason.)

Leave a comment:

• Bentley
    replied
    Originally posted by allin View Post
    Yes Alex's lines do differ significantly from JL's, and since the type of instance I described occurs quite frequently you'd want to have confidence that you're taking the most optimal line. I'm also concerned that in an interview Alex stated that he started teaching poker since he had trouble making a living playing the game: "I started teaching because I went broke." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhbtobMSQQ
    Since JL on the other hand is a confirmed big winner, why would I even bother listening to a guy who started teaching because he went busto?
    You'd probably have to let him answer that one but many people coach (not just poker) because it gives them structure and responsibility that they didn't have before. Coaching improves their own game as such. Do you know how many pros went bust or lost a lot before improving?

Leave a comment:

• allin
    replied
    Yes Alex's lines do differ significantly from JL's, and since the type of instance I described occurs quite frequently you'd want to have confidence that you're taking the most optimal line. I'm also concerned that in an interview Alex stated that he started teaching poker since he had trouble making a living playing the game: "I started teaching because I went broke." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhbtobMSQQ
    Since JL on the other hand is a confirmed big winner, why would I even bother listening to a guy who started teaching because he went busto?
    Last edited by allin; 07-06-2019, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reeeeeeper
    replied
    AF plays heavily exploitative based on field tendencies. Optimal or not, he backs up the practicality of it with the math. His lines and JL's lines often differ significantly. I've had success with both against different player types, the trick is figuring out when to use what.

I think this is the key point he's trying to make in regards to what you're saying...

Last edited by reeeeeeper; 07-06-2019, 02:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• allin
    started a topic Latest Alex Fitzgerald article KJ on the Btn

Latest Alex Fitzgerald article KJ on the Btn

Re Alex's latest article http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/playing-paired-boards/ I'm curious if people here think that JL would play the hand the same way on the turn? (betting two-thirds pot.) From playing through all the quizzes I'm pretty sure that JL would bet around half pot on the turn and fairly big on the river in such a situation (774,3). It seems to me that Alex's style is to try and win the pot on the turn in similar situations, whereas JL picks up extra money by being called a lot more often on the turn with a 40-50% pot bet and getting his opponents to fold on the river by betting close to pot size. Ed Miller also advocates such an approach in his 'Information Dominance' series. I'm sure Alex makes money with this play but is it sub-optimal?
Working...
X