Newbie- where to start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie- where to start?

I am completely brand new to the game and a week ago was not even sure of hand hierarchy. I went out and bought Small stakes NLHEM.......looks like this is probably not the best place to start. I counted cards at bj for a year but it became unprofitable due to my small bank roll when weighed against travel costs.....absolutely no games in my region. Anyway, I really need to start with some basic resources. I have tried to watch JL's vids on youtube and to be be honest it's often greek. I have no frame of reference. I need some suggestions as to where to start- books...software...and principles that I need to master. My own intuition seems to point towards being able to look at flops and nail down outs quickly and subsequently weighing that against equity and how often I should be folding. I just need some direction on some specific basic things I need to understand and master. As of now I just feel like i'm guessing.

JL has this video for beginners that could be a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owcipR3wqA

Comment

• drs13
      drs13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response!

• RealJPB
      RealJPB commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem. I’m sure some of it will be review to you but hopefully some new info too.

Yah. This was a bit too basic. I need some things I can really start sinking my teeth into and grinding at to improve. I'm looking to put years of slow grinding and learning into this and hopefully be profitable at it one day- not a weekend poker trip w/ the boyz in atl city. I've been getting destroyed online. Done w that for a while until I can plug some leaks.

Comment

• CrazyEddie
      CrazyEddie commented
      Editing a comment
      Raise your edge

• drs13
      drs13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Very helpful. I know exactly what to do now.

How To Study Poker Volumes I & II would be a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Study-Pok...dp/1946965006/

https://www.amazon.com/How-Study-Pok...dp/1946965030/

There are plenty of other good books and videos out there too. Otherwise, I'm sure most people here would recommend PokerCoaching.com videos, quizzes, webinars & homework. There are several other good training sites out there as well. Also you can post hand histories here if you run into situations you find tricky and ask for feedback.

Welcome to the game!

Comment

• drs13
      drs13 commented
      Editing a comment
      These books look great. I will definitely pick them up. Thanks!

Winning poker Tournaments one hand at a Time Volume I-III

Comment

• CrazyEddie
      CrazyEddie commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you read those ? I haven't ... are they still relevant ? been 10 years

• drs13
      drs13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I real a lot of the reviews on this. They seemed to be saying this wasn't really a beginner book. Thanks for the input though. I will keep it in mind for the future when my game progresses.

• CrazyEddie
      CrazyEddie commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe tournament poker is about bankroll not anything else. Why, so serious ?

They explain the thought Process very properly which is important for beginners, 85% of things are still relevant, they are a great piece of advice even for Not stone beginners
    Last edited by Guido; 06-22-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• drs13
      drs13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok. Maybe I will check it out.

My mistake was trying to learn too much too quickly. I wasted time trying to learn and understand minimum defence frequencies, blockers etc. before getting my foundations nailed.

This game is not a race. Take your time.

I'd recommend reading through other people's hand histories on this site too, even if you don't feel confident enough to contribute yourself to begin with. Sometimes they'll get it right, sometimes they'll get it wrong but it will help your game if you can understand how your opponents think about the game. Also, it's far cheaper learning from other people's mistakes rather than your own!

Comment

Here is an article that helped me at the start https://onlinepokerrooms-reviews.com/poker-reviews/126/
      Here are basic of basics, recommend to start with it.

Comment

Working...
      X