Preflop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preflop

Lets just say you are on button and you are dealt pocket aces the high jack jams all in and everyone folds to you what would you do in this situation

Definitely a situation where you won’t do the same thing every time. Are we playing cash game or a tournament? Are the blinds good players or bad players? How much do we have in relation to the HJ’s jam and how do the blinds have? Unfortunately a one size fits all play is rarely available in poker, so we’ll need more info to offer advice.

Comment

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't have said it better. 🤣

It is early in a tournament. Lets just say the table is a mix of rec players, and pros. The blinds are rec players. We are middle stack on the table. We both have about 50 bbs.

Comment

• RealJPB
      RealJPB commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless I’m misunderstanding I don’t get the what the question is. You and the HJ both have 50bb, he jams all in and you have aces? The only question there is how long do I pretend to think about it (on the off chance that the blinds might come along) before I put my chips in.

Put all your chips in the middle.

Comment

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      Grab some from the guy sitting next to you, put those in too.

i'm a low stakes player and have found that pocket As can be beat in so any ways, a small 2 pair,,set, straight, flush, 4 to 1 against is not good, if I can't see the flop ? I'lL fold, and save my chips for a better shot, unless i know the player is a weak bluffer. even then its still a gamble or if i have at least +10:1 implied odds. GL

Comment

• RealJPB
      RealJPB commented
      Editing a comment
      This is backwards logic. If you wait to see the flop, you also let your opponent see the flop and then he can play better. He can put the money in when he has two pair and fold when you have him beat.
      If you get all the money in preflop, sometimes he’ll beat you but 85% of the time you beat him.

85% wow i didn't know that, i assume that drops % if you stayed in to the river? and card dependent flop,turn, river? thanks

Comment

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      If you stay in to the river heads-up you're either 100%, 0% or the rare 50%, just like with every other hand. I don't understand your question.

• jjpregler
      jjpregler commented
      Editing a comment
      No. When your decision is preflop, AA is 80%+ no matter what other hand he holds. Your equity changes based on the cards that run out, but preflop you are 80%+. Some of the flops will give him equity, but 70% of the flops will leave him to needing a runner runner combo or maybe 2 outs if he has an underpair.

I am never, ever folding here. anyone who really tries to convince themselves not to get in as many chips as they possibly can preflop with AA should take up another game.

I would get 1,000 BBs in with AA.

Caveat: Yes, someone could develop some satellite bubble scenario where it would be correct to fold AA preflop, but in 13 years, I have never encountered that situation at the table.

Who open jams 50 bigs?

Comment

• Rainmaker314
      Rainmaker314 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully the guy or gal to my right, when I wake up with pocket Aces, Kings, Queens or AK.

You can't pass up big edges in tournament play, if you aren't willing to call a preflop all in with AA then you may want to reconsider your strategy. I'm high fiving the people around me as I pile my chips in.

Comment

Yea its an easy call with the best cards in the deck.? That is what you do. and if you lose. That's part of it. Smile and know you got it in good.

Comment

thanks for all of your inputs i will adjust my mind set.

Comment

i can't see the all-in pre-flop gamble for just the blinds if no one calls? to win/lose ? a battle? then to gamble and lose a war? tournament life, or all my stack in a cash game, its not EV? is it? and if someone calls there is so many range of hands that can beat TP?????? I haven't seen the 80% win yet?

Comment

Working...
          X