Quiz 1340 $2/$5 Lexi - someone needs to have a talk with her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz 1340 $2/$5 Lexi - someone needs to have a talk with her

Seems Lexi's quizzes are about spots where you can play passively and hope to make a big hand and often do. I don't think that is a ton of help. She would say things like " if we flop a set", when and if we flop a set, nobody needs coach.

Why not reraise K9s from BB preflop? K9s can be difficult to play unless of course flush draw and then get there. She doesn't get into the difficult spots for K9. She doesn't get in difficult spots.

On the turn, I don't know anyone betting that small with 2 pairs. Many bet 2/3 or more on brick turns.

On the river, her lead is never bluff. What else could she be bluff leading with? Now if you were playing the turn with river in mind? Eitehr you get there and everyone sees it or?
    Last edited by broke&livin; 07-28-2021, 01:01 AM.

K9s is absolutely not a squeeze against an EP open and 4 callers in a live game with no reads. There is no play there that makes any sense but call. If you did squeeze the sizing would be to at least $100 creating an SPR of 2 with hand that much prefers a higher SPR.

To most live players, the difference between 50% pot and 67% pot is not that significant. Many are betting half pot as their only size. I do agree many would size up here given many draws available.

On the river, again this is live 2/5, many just won't let go of AA KK QQ TT QT and if you have a read that they won't likely bet themselves when the flush comes in, betting is the only line that makes sense. She clearly states that in her game, population checks back strong hands here. Personally in my 2/5 games when it's a BDF and there are two opponents I think we see a bet often enough that I would check, but again it depends on your game and your opponent in the hand.

Lexy's content is focused around live games which are way softer than online games, and are available as part of the Standard membership which is content geared towards more beginner players. If you don't find her content useful to learning for your games and your current skill level, look at the other content. There are like 12 coaches for a reason. You're not doing yourself any favors by spending all this mind space trying to prove the teacher wrong.

Comment

I would squeeze preflop, the lesser evil instead of playing post which will be far trickier most of the time. I am also beginner and iwth your help, I find her content helpful now.

Comment

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        The issue with squeezing is you don't have a ton of fold equity unless you have a read the table is incredibly weak to large raises when they're IP, you aren't giving yourself a good price to draw to a flush, and when you squeeze to an appropriate size you are often going to be dominated when you make TP and more money goes in

I'm losing all allins as 80% favorite. The coaches are telling people to passively play K9s multiway or defend big blind with 43o. See Quiz 1322. For most people, you will lose defending big blind 43o. That's bad advice.

Comment

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        43o is a 100% defend at 20BB deep, we're playing ~24BB deep in that quiz, so it certainly could be folded at some frequency. Here's the fun part, you are 100% correct, defending 43o is almost definitely a -EV play. BUT, it's less -EV than folding. Apestyles talks about this in his chapter in MPT. Folding the BB is default -1BB EV. Many junky hands like 43o at short stack depths, are slightly less than -1BB EV. So we defend them because we lose marginally less than just folding. This is also dependent on us playing well post flop, specifically in this situation understanding these hands will usually be check folded on the flop, and not feeling the need to bluff our way out of it post-flop.

But, the EV difference is very marginal, so if you don't feel confident you can play such a wide range post-flop, or if your opponents are looser than they should be here, or if they're just not very strong players in general, folding can definitely be fine. These small EV spots only really matter when we're up against the best who are going to be pushing every single advantage and if we over-fold we will get run over.

Matt explains the above in fewer words in the quiz.

• broke&livin
        broke&livin commented
        Editing a comment
        Defend 43 will lose more than 1BB. Folding outright becomes less -Ev.

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        @broke&livin defending 43o does not lose more than 1BB when played correctly post-flop, according to Matt who is a way better player than either of us, according to Apestyles who is literally one of the best MTT players breathing, both drawing this information from solvers.

You're spending a ton of time and mindspace trying to prove the coaches wrong, if you don't think they know what they're talking about you should probably consider seeking different content and coaching

If OOP should bet more than IP including3x, ax, then IP should raise EVERYTHING. Here coach doesn't say ' is it value or bluff ' with 43 on river anymore.
      Last edited by broke&livin; 07-29-2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

There are coaches I like or identify, Alex and Faraz. whose moves I can make my own.
        Last edited by broke&livin; 07-30-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X