Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been struggling with this spot quite a bit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been struggling with this spot quite a bit.

So as I get deeper and playing against opponents who are real wide, I start releasing hands that maybe I should continue with. The 2 villains in this hand are bad players one is a maniac VPIP 79, PFR76. He is the deep stack at the table. The calling station is VPIP 75 PFR 27. I have over 300 hands on the maniac and 500 on the calling stations. Should I have called this down against two opponents, with very wide ranges?

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $9.71
    BB: $31.38
    UTG: $8.00
    CO: $12.40
    Hero (BTN): $17.84

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has Q:spade: Q:club:

UTG calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, BB calls $0.40, UTG calls $0.40, CO calls $0.40

Flop: ($2.05, 4 players) 7:club: 7:spade: 4:heart:
    BB bets $0.50, fold, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($3.55, 3 players) 6:diamond:
    BB bets $1.30, CO calls $1.30, fold

River: ($6.15, 2 players) 6:club:
    BB checks, CO bets $1.80, BB calls $1.80

CO shows 2:club: 2:spade: (Two Pair, Sevens and Sixes)
    (Pre 19%, Flop 8%, Turn 5%)
    BB shows 8:club: 8:diamond: (Two Pair, Eights and Sevens)
    (Pre 81%, Flop 92%, Turn 95%)
    BB wins $9.26

Against bets this small I think we definitely want to call down. We will be against 88-JJ and random nonsense enough to make it +EV to call down. If they start bombing it multi-way we can start over-folding but we don't need to be good very often here

Comment

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      NJpokermike36 , Brad Wilson mentioned something in one of his webinars that made a lot of sense to me. In the micros when calling down it's not always optimal to spend time/mindspace considering what VIllain's bluffs are. Against strong players we can look at what their range should look like, consider the obvious bluffs then consider which marginal bluffs they might miss/over-bluff with and then figure out how we should defend our range. But population at the micros is doing completely illogical stuff so often, that considering the actual combos isn't a really meaningful reference point. The question just becomes what odds am I getting and how often do they have to be doing something weird without the nuts for it to be a profitable call--from that perspective we wind up calling a ton against small bets. on the river BB needed to be good ~18% of the time, I think population might be betting with air, be it a logical bluff or nonsense, more than 20% of the time and we could call that small bet with any pair lol

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dilly. I actually didn't think he was bluffing. Their ranges are so wide, that it would be very easy for one of them to have a 7. What I didn't want to happen was to call the turn and then maniac jam the river. Is this a spot, against these type of opponents, that I have to just call and hope they don't have a 7 if they jam?

Whenever I get above 150 BB, I find myself playing to conservative.
      Last edited by NJpokermike36; 05-20-2021, 03:35 PM.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      NJpokermike36 I haven't studied enough 150BB+ but intuitively it makes sense to play single pair hands much more conservatively

When the BB donk leads small and just gets calls, IP I think you get to raise this on the flop. I think I make it about $3.50 on the flop.

Comment

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking about it, but as I stated in the comments under Dilly's post, I have been playing protection poker. I think you are right to raise here and see what happens.

Thanks!
Working...
X