Fold Trips on River at Hyper-aggressive 5/10 Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold Trips on River at Hyper-aggressive 5/10 Table

At a 4-handed 5/10 cash table (which is typically hyper-aggressive), shortly after it formed and I had no credible reads on the table, I opened QcTs from the button, about $1K deep. The SB folded. The BB, who had me well covered, defended. Pot $75 going to flop.

Flop KdQd7h, giving me middle pair. On flops with two Broadway cards against a BB defend from someone who understands ranges, I c-bet everything. He checked. I bet $30. He called. Pot $135.

Turn Qs, giving me trips. He checked. I bet $85. He check-raised to $275. I thought he could either have the last Q, or be bluffing a flush draw. The only hand I was worried about was QJ. I thought he would 3-bet preflop with AQ, and it did not make sense that he would check-call two-pair or a set when there are potential straight and flush draws to worry about, and then blast it on the turn after boating when he no longer needs to worry about such draws. I considered jamming, then remembered what happened in the two-pair hand a couple weeks ago, that it is best to just flat at hyper-aggressive tables. I called. Pot $675.

River 2d, completing the flush draw. He bet $660, which put me nearly all in. He could still have the busted straight draw, but I block some of those with my T. My question was, “Does he still overvalue trip Q’s with lower kickers (like Q8 or Q9) after the flush draw hits?” I thought about it, then decided the answer was “no” and folded. I have some flush draws (and likely even boats) in my range that I would play this way and snap him off with. He showed a stone cold bluff with 65o.

If he has a diamond draw, what is he check raising you on the turn with that he wouldn't on the flop? If he had an open ended straight flush draw on the flop, why would he wait until the turn to raise you, when his hand just got weaker because there is only 1 card to come + you could already have a full house?

It feels like he has a queen. The only hand that makes sense to raise the turn that has you beat is Qd10d or QJ. Would he really raise the turn if he made a full house and chase you off of your diamond or straight draw? Probably not.

I think the bluff is very risky. I am not sure if you step back and look at it, it makes much sense.

Thanks!

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I could see him just calling the flop with a flush draw that hit my range hard (or maybe a 7), and then bluffing the turn if he sees the Q as a scare card to me.

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe, but I don't think the is a line taken all that often, especially since KQ is in your range.

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I may even check back the turn with a K, and let him try to bluff river, since the majority of the time he does not have a Q. See my post below.

Here is what my range looks like after he checked to him on the turn. I could see him going either check-call or check-raise on the flop with a K, but after the second Q hits and Q is in my range, he would almost definitely check-call the turn. If I have AK, it is equally likely for him to have a K or Q (2 of each left), but if I have a Q with a bad kicker, he is a lot more likely to have a K than a Q (3 kings and 1 queen left). Finally, AA falls somewhere in between (3 kings and 2 queens left).

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E20D387-7611-4C03-851E-5775BF0CCE9B.png
Views:	17
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	49377
    After he check-raised me, I shove for value with only my big Q’s (QJ and AQ) and bluff-shove with 9 combos of JT in which neither one is a diamond, so that I don’t block any flush draws which he will likely fold to my jam. I fold only AA and my gutshot draws.

Name:	5343BC20-2C3E-4251-B1FA-D4BDD2C3A949.png
Views:	17
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	49376
    When he effectively shoved on the river, I call with my flushes and boats (which comprise close to half my range), and fold the trip queens and my missed OESD’s.

Name:	62607981-19E0-49CD-AFBC-8529D01F9E03.png
Views:	25
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	49375

Comment

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      You checked the river. That is what I am talking about. I disagree with your range on the river. I do not see Qx folding, even without reads, at a table where they are typically hyper aggressive.

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not check the river. He shoved OOP and I folded.

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just don't think his line makes sense. I think once you think the hand through, this is a call.
Working...
X