Clear All

• AQ on the button 3 way 1/2

All players effective stacks 100bb

Folded to the lowjack who raises to 15.

I call from the button with AdQs.

Sb folds. BB calls 15.

Pot 47

Flop Qd7d4d

BB bets 20, lj folds, I 3bet to 60, bb calls.

Pot 167

Turn Qd7d4d2s

BB checks. I shove all in for 125

Thoughts?

Again, another basic situation. I don't have a problem with the flop raise. I would raise the flop and be willing to get it in right there. Once you raise the flop, I don't see a lot of options but to shove the turn. You have TPTK, a draw to the effective nuts and only a 3/4 pot size bet left.

Thanks!
    Last edited by NJpokermike36; 05-15-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

When the BB donks on that flop, top pair is sort of a marginal hand. I think the best thing to do with the Nut FD and TP is to just flat the bet. In a solver, the BB is not suppose to value bet any 1 pair hands. Only 2p+ and good draws.

Comment

I would have 3-bet preflop to about $40. If I am not concerned about a 4th diamond hitting, I might flat the flop and check back the turn if top pair is marginal.

Comment

• jjpregler
          jjpregler commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same, but when I checked the GTO charts to verify my 3bet, it is mixing. So calling is fine too.

• NJpokermike36
          NJpokermike36 commented
          Editing a comment
          jjpregler GTO is not the holy grail for everything. Just because solvers say do or don't do something, does not mean it is right. ALL decisions are player dependent.

mriebel Without more info on the player and given that he raised it 7 times the BB, I cannot say I would raise. A 7BB may or may not be large for this table. That would play a huge factor into whether I raise or not.

Thanks!
          Last edited by NJpokermike36; 05-16-2021, 07:15 AM.

I do not have a problem with raising the flop. We have to ask ourselves if we are ever folding with TPTK and the nut flush draw when the effective stacks are 100BB. I think the answer is no. So we can raise the flop and if the villain calls, great and if he folds, that is great too. If called, we are never drawing dead.

Thanks!

Comment

Solver mixes AQo calling and 3-betting preflop. Part of why we call some times is to make sure we have strong AX in our flatting range so it's not too capped, at live 1/2 I think I lean towards 3-betting because I'm not too worried about opponents exploiting my capped flatting range when I get to play IP. AQo also prefers to play at a lower SPR. But it's definitely worth mixing it up at some level.

I don't like the raise or the shove. Villain can be leading bluffs which are drawing dead for the most part, and hands that beat us that weve some equity against, I think we want to get to showdown here cheap as possible and let him keep bluffing whatever small frequency he's bluffing, but tbh with no read live 1/2 player leads then continues to fire on a monotone flop I think we're against a flush an unreasonable amount of the time lol

Comment

• NJpokermike36
            NJpokermike36 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dilly the chances of flopping a flush are small. Part of my style is I play these hands aggressively. That means I win the maximum and lose the maximum. If this hand is played passively, you are not going to get paid off a high percentage of the time when the 4th diamond rolls off, unless he Kx or maybe Jx of diamonds. You are also going to have the best hand here a certain percentage of the time when the villain has KQ or QJ with or without the jack of diamonds.

Thanks!

Last edited by NJpokermike36; 05-21-2021, 08:33 AM.

• Dilly
            Dilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I get that, the issue with raising hands like this has more to do with our overall range, it leaves our calling range hard to defend, which might be fine if our opponents don't bluff at it enough

• NJpokermike36
            NJpokermike36 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dilly. I understand. This happens to be a type of hand I am not worried about protecting my calling range
        Working...
        X