Flopped Weak Flush with OESFD in Straddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flopped Weak Flush with OESFD in Straddle

In today’s 2/5 cash game, we agreed to straddle $10 UTG every hand. When I was in the straddle holding 9c6c facing a $35 raise by a solid LAG on the LJ, and a cold call from a weaker loose player (somewhere between a spewy LAG and a calling station on the BB), I put in the $25 to defend my straddle. I had just over $1K in stack, the LJ had me covered, and the button had about $700. Pot $112 going to the flop.

Flop 7c5c4c, giving me a weak flush and an OESFD. A single higher club would have only 5 outs instead of 7, since two of those cards would give me the straight flush. I checked. The LJ c-bet for $40 and the button called. I check-raised to $150, in fear that one of them has a higher club and is drawing to a higher flush. They both folded. Would it have been better to just call the $40? I would have been more likely to do that if the button had folded.

If we're raising, we're raising for value, as you just identified they're drawing pretty thin to a better flush, we're not turning a flush into a bluff. So the question is does XcXx call a raise, and do Villains have enough sets, 2 pair etc that also calls a raise. Probably, I personally probably play my middling flushes too passively and would call here but I think a raise is probably good

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you ever think of a time a bet with a flush would be considered a bluff? Maybe a low one-card flush.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      mriebel I think it would be very difficult to come up with many or any situations where we would turn a flush into a bluff, so I don't think it would be a very useful exercise

I am definitely raising with my mid-card flush. I would also lead and not go for the check raise. I don't like people drawing for free when the next card could beat me.

Thanks!

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I never donk flushes. I did donk lead two pair on super-coordinated flops before.

• NJpokermike36
      NJpokermike36 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, but then you run the risk of being drawn out on. If I am going to be drawn out on, I do not let them do it for free.
Working...
X