Two Other 5/10 Hands in Which I 3-bet Jammed Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Other 5/10 Hands in Which I 3-bet Jammed Turn

In yesterday’s 5/10 session, there were two other hands where I 3-bet in a draw heavy turn with a very strong holding but not the absolute nuts, and it worked out for me. On the river, I would easily just flat the raise.

One of these hands was in the blinds. I held KTo in the BB facing only a limp from a solid LAG on the SB. Effective stack sizes were $1,400. I raised to $40 and he flatted. Pot $80 going to the flop.

Flop KhJdTh, giving me top and bottom pair. He checked. I c-bet $40. He called. Pot $160 going to the turn.

Turn 6c. He checked to me. I bet $110. He check-raised to $340. I did not think he had many premium hands in his range. With AQ, KK, JJ, or TT, he would have either open-raised preflop or potentially limp re-raised. I doubted that he would call my c-bet with 66 on an all-Broadway flop. I could see him playing Q9 this way, maybe check-raising the flop half the time and flatting and then check-raising the turn the other half. But I thought it was more likely that he had a straight or flush draw so I shoved for almost $1K more effective to price out the draws. I could also get value from K6 which he might reasonably play this way. He tanked and then ultimately mucked.

In the other hand, I held 9s7s on the BB facing a limp from an unknown player (just sat down) on the HJ with $500 in stack, and a $40 raise from an aggressive bluffer on the button with $1,600 in stack. I had them both covered. I called, as did the limper. Pot $125 going to the flop.

Flop Qs5s4s, giving me a weak flush. I considered donk-leading, but ultimately decided not to. It checked around.

Turn 9c. Not a great turn because my 9 blocks some pair, 2-pair, or set hands that may give me action. But much better than a fourth spade hitting or the board pairing. I bet $75 into $125, then the HJ raised to $200. The BTN folded. I jammed for $300 more effective, since I was OOP and he could have a spade with potential of making a higher flush or a 2-pair or set hand with potential of boating. He debated and then called. The river came 6d, I showed my flush, and he mucked.

Would it have been better to just flat the turn raise in either of these hands? Or is 3-bet jamming to price out draws a fine way to go?

what is a solid lag? don't believe I heard that before. Your reasoning sounds like hot mess, or you could also be a genius ( something's in the making, not quite finished ).

Comment

Hand 1:
      • Not sure if we want to open KTo here, but it might be fine.
      • I don't like the sizing on the flop. Solver probably mixes sizes, but 2 pair probably wants to be be part of a larger betting polarized range, I would size up to 67%-80% pot here.
      • Your logic about Villain's range on turn seems sound right up until "price out the draws." If you know Villain will stack off with his draws, then 3-betting makes sense. Or if he will rarely finish the bluff when we call turn, then maybe 3-betting makes sense. But we do not want him to fold his draws. His best draws have ~30% equity, we are in fine shape to just call against a range of some 2pair straights and the best combo draws.

Comment

• mriebel
        mriebel commented
        Editing a comment
        His best draws may be like Qh4h (OESD + Flush draw)

I would open K10o vs BB. As Dilly stated, I would size up my bet a little bigger on the flop in the first hand. I would have probably bet 75% of pot. I think the first hand was played fine.

In the second hand I would lead, hoping to get called from a Ax or Kx spade hand. I don't have a problem with your Jam because the villain is getting just under 2.5 to 1 to call. By the time you jam, he has already put half his stack in the middle and I can't see him folding to your jam. The villain should have decided to call your jam before he raised to $200. if he wasn't going to, then he should have not raised.

Here is where I am different than a lot of GTO players. I am always happy to win a pot. If I could deny the villain his equity in the pot, I win. If he misses, he probably is not putting another nickel in the pot and if you keep him in, you are basically giving him a free shot at the pot with no upside for you(He calls, misses and folds to your bet. He calls hits and you lose the pot. The spade comes you check, he doesn't have a spade, he bets you fold and lose the pot because he sensed you were afraid of the 4th spade).

So a lot of other people may try to keep a draw in, I don't, especially when we already have a pot that has half a stack in it once the villain raises to $200.

Thanks!
      Last edited by NJpokermike36; 05-03-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• mriebel
        mriebel commented
        Editing a comment
        Lead flop or turn in the second hand?

• NJpokermike36
        NJpokermike36 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would lead the flop

• mriebel
        mriebel commented
        Editing a comment
        I have donk-lead 2-pair and sets on monotone flops, but not weak flushes.
    Working...
    X