Squeeze AJo from Small Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeze AJo from Small Blind

In a 2/5 cash game, I held AJo in the SB, facing a raise to $15 from a TAG UTG and a cold call from the CO. I have taken a “3-bet or fold” mentality from the SB against most 2/5 players, although I may still flat there occasionally with speculative hands against calling stations or spewy LAGs if they will pay me off big for making a big hand. When I 3-bet, I go to at least 3.5x the initial raiser’s raise, and even more if other players cold called in position. This time, with the CO calling, I 3-bet to $65. UTG 4-bet to $160. CO folded. Even with decent pot odds, needing only $95 to stay in a pot that will be $335, I folded since AJo has lots of RIO and I will be OOP. For example, I could hit my A and he has AK.

Is the “3-bet large or fold” mentality from the small blind sound against most players? Would it have been better to just flat the $15, like I would have done easily from the BB? Or could I even justify folding to the open raise?

If this is a full ring game(9 or 10 players), I definitely would fold AJo preflop to a TAG UTG open. If it was 6 max, I would mix it up a little, but not to much. I would fold 80% of the time, call 15% of the time, and raise 5% of the time. Since 6 max has a wider UTG range, he will have less aces in his range when he raises in 6 max. Against a range without an ace, you are about a 7% favorite and you are about a 7% dog if he has an ace in his hand. But I would clearly understand that if and Ace comes and he is calling or betting, you are very likely beat.

The hard part is folding when an ace comes on the flop. If you can't get away from the hand, you are going to lose a lot of money the times you are beat.

Thanks!

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      It was 7-max.

Against strong players 3-bet or fold is the right strategy from the SB, we just can't profitably flat playing OOP always. If players are too wide pre-flop and very weak post-flop we might consider it but rarely. Strong implied odds hands will flat when the pot is multi-way.

AJo is a fold SB v a CO raise. Vs a TAG UTG it's an instafold, not even close. We want to be squeezing OOP tighter than we 3-bet against one opponent, this makes it even more of a fold. When we 3-bet OOP our standard size should be 3.5X to 4X, when we squeeze it should be bigger.

As played, there is no way you can call the 4-bet. You need to realize 28% equity. We have 30% raw equity against TT+ AQ KQs AJs which is wider than I expect most UTG TAGs to be, and we under-realize our equity OOP

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      My solver gives 100% 3-bet for AJs in SB against CO, 50% fold 50% 3-bet for AJo.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      mriebel I would check your inputs, if this is a time rake game, maybe it's a 3-bet at some frequency, but in a high rake game it is definitely not. More to the point if it's a 50% 3-bet v the CO it is 100% a fold vs an EP open and CO call

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      @Dilly: My solver app does not have a rake parameter.
Working...
X