AK - When to get it all in PF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK - When to get it all in PF

Just got back into playing poker after a long long hiatus. Anyway Im wondering how I should be playing AK in cash games. In this hand we both have 100bb stacks.

Scenario: I have AhKh in MP with 100bb stack. I raise to 3.5bb. TAG in Small blind 3bets to 15bb. I 4bet to 45bb. He shoves. I call. He has AA and I get stacked.

Once he shoves, I really think the TAG's range here is QQ+ and AK. Should I just call the 15bb PF and fold if I miss?

As with anything else in poker, in depends. While I would not be happy with his 5 bet shove, I am more inclined to call after the villain 5 bet shoves preflop with AKs and having a 100BB stack, than I would be if I was much deeper or if I was off suit.

When the tag 3 bets you, he probably has TT+, AKs, AQs and possibly KQs in his range. If that is his range you are a 5% dog. If he his range is JJ+ AKs, and AQs, you are about a 10% dog. I would call in both of those scenarios for 1 buy in. If I was 150BB+ deep, I probably just call his 3 bet preflop.

Thanks!

Comment

• JJoseph
      JJoseph commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Appreciate the help!

Starting with the base of what we would do against a strong opponent, AKs is almost always 4-bet here. Unless we have substantial info that SB 3-bet range is very tight, 4-betting is probably good. I would go to 2.3X IP though, 2.7X OOP.

As played, we need about 28% equity to call it off, against KK+ we have 23%....General assumption population is going to have more than KK+, we can usually call it off.

It comes down to what you mean by TAG, and what game this is. I don't think any legit TAGs in online cash games are tight enough we can fold here. But there are definitely OMC in live cash games who's 3-bet range here is QQ+ in which case yeah just call and play cautiously post-flop because they have a strong hand.

Comment

• JJoseph
      JJoseph commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like the 2.3x IP. Thank you.

Additionally, when your stack is 5x - 7x the size of the 3 bet here, you have the options to raise small or shove. This is opponent dependent. His 3 bet was quite large, thereby adding a 4bet shove to your options.

If you open the recommended smaller bet sizing, the SB standard would be to 3 bet to 10, and with this, your stack is too large compared to the pot to shove.

However, if you look at the new GTO charts for cash game, AKo is a flat, while AKs is a 4 bet. You did not specify which MP position you were in, so I referred to the GTO solution for LJ versus SB 3b.

However, in high rake games, I think Dilly can give you the adjustments for the high rake. I never studied those adjustments.

But the reality from a starting range perspective, you should open a bit tighter, which would affect the SB 3 bet range in high rake games.
    Last edited by jjpregler; 04-25-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I usually 4-bet AK against TAGs since I block 50% of AA and KK combos. I think it is likely he is 5-bet shoving with QQ and AK enough to justify calling his shove.

Comment

Working...
      X