Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight on a paired board: Call or fold

Hi folks

ok, so microstakes 0.01/ .0.02 and I'm in the big blind, with about $2.50. My very loose weak semi-aggro opponent is on the button with about the same in chips

I'm dealt A4s, its folded to the button who makes a standard raise.

Seems a good place to defend, so I call. Pot is now 7 BB

Flop is JQT r

I check, my opponent makes a bet 4.5 BB. Hes done this frequently before as a probe bet/bluff, which he;'s previously folded to a 3x raise (as per JLs suggestion, I find this a useful tip)..., so I 3x raise.

A little risky but this has seemed profitable in the past , as he does fold quite often...and if he calls I still have some equity with the A overcard, a straight draw and a backdraw flush.

He calls.
    Ok, so now I know he has *something.*

Turn is a K giving me a straight.
    My thinking is a bet would make him fold and right now I have the nuts. I'#d like to keep him in with weaker hands or encourage a bluff. I check and he checks behind.

River is a T , pairing the board. No flushes available.

I raise, he goes all in. giving me roughly 97 bets to call a 97+25=122 BB pot.

So... I appreciate I might have been a little aggro on the flop...but do I fold or call ? Any other thoughts about if I've horribly misplayed this?
    Last edited by NewbieFish; 04-10-2021, 08:32 AM.

I don't like the limp preflop. I think A4s is better to 3 bet or fold preflop in the BB against a button raise. I would 3 bet preflop. I would not check/raise the flop given the board texture. If I just called preflop, which I wouldn't, I am check/folding the flop because the only card I want to see is a king(4 outs), Are you going to be happy if an ace comes? Probably not.

You took the lead on the flop so I would not check the turn, especially since I made my hand and he called my check/raise on the flop. He could have two pair and would come along. So I want to keep building a bigger pot at this point.

I would call the shove on the river. Since you gave up the lead on the turn, you have no idea where you are in the hand. You could be chopping, he could have made two pair. If he has Q10 or J10, I think you have to pay him off.

I would have played the hand much differently and I am not a fan of the line you took at any point in the hand.

Thanks!

Comment

100% 3-betting A4s preflop v BTN - think this will be the case with pretty much any set of pre-flop charts you can get your hands on.
      Probably checking 100% of my range on this flop texture.

Comment

Originally posted by NJpokermike36 View Post
        I don't like the limp preflop. I think A4s is better to 3 bet or fold preflop in the BB against a button raise. I would 3 bet preflop. I would not check/raise the flop given the board texture. If I just called preflop, which I wouldn't, I am check/folding the flop because the only card I want to see is a king(4 outs), Are you going to be happy if an ace comes? Probably not.

You took the lead on the flop so I would not check the turn, especially since I made my hand and he called my check/raise on the flop. He could have two pair and would come along. So I want to keep building a bigger pot at this point.

I would call the shove on the river. Since you gave up the lead on the turn, you have no idea where you are in the hand. You could be chopping, he could have made two pair. If he has Q10 or J10, I think you have to pay him off.

I would have played the hand much differently and I am not a fan of the line you took at any point in the hand.

Thanks!
        This is exactly my feelings. Can't understand the check on the turn. You've realise your equity, now build it.

Comment

• NewbieFish
          NewbieFish commented
          Editing a comment
          In hindsight, I agree i should have bet the turn. My thoughts at the time were that i was very unlikely to get a call with a weaker hand and thought this was more likely at the river. I dont think i accounted for the number of outs they had properly though, theres quite a few, and had i had time to think more thoroughly i may well have bet it.

Incidentally, the call preflop is exactly what the gto says it should be. Of course gto is not everything...

• NJpokermike36
          NJpokermike36 commented
          Editing a comment
          Always remember, there is nothing wrong with taking a pot down. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I would rather move away from any strategy to ensure I win a pot, than play a strategy at all cost and lose a pot.

Thanks!

• NJpokermike36
          NJpokermike36 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are worried about GTO at 2NL or 5NL, you will get crushed. You need to play ABC poker at those levels.

Thanks!
      Working...
      X