Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JJ in BB Facing Huge Jam on Low-Card Board from Limp-Caller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ in BB Facing Huge Jam on Low-Card Board from Limp-Caller.

I bought right back into the tournament after busting, and busted again after being at the table less than an orbit. I had no credible reads on the table since I was there such a short time. I held JJ on the BB with about 90bb in stack facing four limpers. I raised to 7.3bb. A limper UTG who had me covered called me and the other 3 limpers folded. The was a total of 18.7bb in the pot going to the flop.

Flop 4s3h2c, so no overs to my JJ, but lots of straight draw possibilities. I bet 13.3bb. He looked at his cards, tanked for about 30 seconds, and then called. Pot 45.3bb going to turn, with 69.6bb effective stacks.

Turn 2h. I checked to him, to try to make him think his middle pocket pairs (such as 77) were good, and to let him bluff some hands with which he might have floated me. He debated again and then shoved. I was worried most about A2s. I did not think he would shove that large with a boat. I tanked, and then called, hoping he had a middle pocket pair and put me on a big ace, which would have 10 outs, including 4 for the wheel. He showed 6c5c for the flopped straight.

Would it have been better to check to him OOP on the flop? Or lead out a half-pot bet on the turn? Finally, should I have folded to his 150% pot shove?

Your flop bet is fine. As the preflop raiser I would be c-betting this flop for around one third pot as it really doesn't hit either range - so if you had best hand preflop you will still be ahead.

When he calls the flop I would check turn for pot control as this is already a sizeable pot. I would be folding to his turn shove here with only a 1 pair hand as there are too many hands that beat us including sets and possibly A2s.

Preflop its a very loose call from him with 6c5c as (if I'm reading it right) when you raised to 7.3BB from the big blind he was UTG so was the first limper to act, putting in this call with 3 other limpers still to act.
    I would only call a raise with his hand if I was closing the action.

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      By sets, do you mean boats like 33 and 44? I would not expect him to shove those. Most players don’t shove boats on the turn for over the size of the pot. They hope for someone else to river a straight or flush.

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not see limpers reraise very often, particularly in the early stages, so he may not have felt he had much to worry about being blown off his hand.

I have this problem sometimes. You hope to stack someone and hope they have this hand. Maybe not reraise that many limpers because they will call and the only thing you know postflop is you have jacks.
    Last edited by broke&livin; 08-16-2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you mean check my option in the BB and hope for a set?

• broke&livin
      broke&livin commented
      Editing a comment
      Not quite, but some people do play that way. You should know that you tend to bet absolute strength, not relative. This results you over value where you are no longer ahead.

The problem here is that you bloat the pot with a very vulnerable hand and you are oop against all players and usually many limpers call when they have position.But certainly it can mix here sometimes raise for isolation and some not.On this flop again i think it is a mix of betting and checking because half the deck will be difficult to play on turn. 5,6,7,Q,K,A will all be ugly.If you decide to bet you have to bet almost pot and prepare for a shove(even if it is overbet) on certain turns(2,3,4,8,9,T,J) which are the other half deck

Comment

• mriebel
      mriebel commented
      Editing a comment
      Which street is “If you decide to bet you have to bet almost pot” referring to? I am nearly ALWAYS raising big with JJ in the BB facing numerous limpers postflop. I don’t necessarily think a K or Q on the turn would be too scary. He is folding most K* and Q* hands to my large bet on the flop.

I am referring on the flop to bet closer to pot like 17 or 18bb.I think you have to charge the limper very big on this flop to continue and you lower the spr with a big hand oop which is always good.Yes the JJ almost always should raise against limpers.The very few exceptions for me not to raise would be at a very loose table where i know one or more limpers will surely call and i will be oop against multiple limpers

Comment

Working...
    X