Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should We Go For Max Value With Quads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Should We Go For Max Value With Quads?

Here's a hand from the first level of a game I played yesterday:

PokerStars, $6.42 + $0.58 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players

UTG: 852 (43 bb)
    UTG+1: 1,619 (81 bb)
    MP: 1,408 (70 bb)
    MP+1: 1,500 (75 bb)
    LP: 1,500 (75 bb)
    CO: 1,279 (64 bb)
    BU: 2,386 (119 bb)
    SB (Hero): 1,468 (73 bb)
    BB: 1,488 (74 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is SB with A A
    1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 50, 3 players fold, CO calls 50, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to 230, 2 players fold, CO calls 180

Flop: (557) 9 A 3 (2 players)
    Hero checks, CO bets 220, Hero calls 220

Turn: (997) A (2 players)
    Hero checks, CO checks

River: (997) Q (2 players)
    Hero ??

We get to the river with nuts, obviously, and need to decide how to get max value.

Is it best for me to shove and hope the villain has hit a flush? Is it better to check to try and induce a bluff/over-value? The SPR is only 0.8, but is there an argument for betting small considering the stacks are still quite large at 41bb eff?

Please feel free to critique how I played the hand up to the river too. I'd be interested to hear some alternative approaches.

I would check river in this spot if the opponent is decent and give him a chance to bluff.If the opponent is weak make a small bet that looks like block bet,these get paid alot from weak opponents in my opinion. All the other part i would play it same way.

Comment

I know we don't typically bet top set on the flop but I think when you 3! from the SB our range wants to bet so I would have put out about a 20-25% cbet. So if you bet about 125 a decent player still has to defend about 80% IP or you can just run him over.

What other combos are you checking?

I would jam river. If we think about his cold calling range it''s probably just suited Broadway combos, maybe some middling suited connectors and pocket pairs. He can't fold a flush and he should have a hard time folding a QX especially if he has a spade. Also when it goes check/bet/call check/check I think we want to bet rivers often. If we were deeper a 'block bet' might be a more standard sizing.

Comment

Working...
      X