The bust-out thread (tournaments)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bust-out thread (tournaments)

I edited the thread, and thought it might become a thread about our bust-out hands for tournaments instead of one particular hand.

Here is my bust-out hand yesterday. AK is a problematic hand for me when I am deep. I play it far too aggressive.

So I busted out of a MTT (102/816) with one of my leaky hands AK (about 50BBS)

I don`t have a big read on my opponent yet, but he opens from EP. Fairly tight/straight forward poker is all I can say. I have been 3-betting some and taken down most pots post flop (linear range) with top pair or range advantage. Made a few double barrels also with air on dry boards. I think my image is solid yet active (Volume 24%).

He has me covered.

Would you play this differently?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/49A0T2hct

I put him on a non made hand Ax suited or possibly a lower premium made hand like JJ/10s when he called my pre flop 3 bet. I thought this is a move for someone who wants to see the flop because he can`t lay it down pre.

I lead the flop to take the initiative and take it down, reeady to double barrel if good cards come on the turn.When he called the flop I was also thinking about KQ/AQ or QQ/AA...and was ready to check the turn if it it was a miss...but the magic "Kang" came up...

so my question here is, would you check the flop, bet the turn and magically fold an all in on the river? Shove pre? Any way different?

I do overplay my top pairs quite a lot...
    Last edited by PJ9; 04-16-2020, 12:54 PM.

• Preflop is fine, I'm not super well versed at this depth but is there any merit to going bigger? 50BB deep we're definitely not folding AK so the 4-bet jam isn't a concern.
    • After 3-betting pre, betting the flop isn't a lead, and I think doing so to take the initiative is the wrong way of thinking about it. We have a substantial range advantage ~40 of our ~100 combos here are TP or better, so we can c-bet our entire range here.
    • On the turn we have 27 combos of sets and straights, if we shove those, and shove our AXs misses we're actually close to perfectly balanced, so I think checking AK here makes sense as we've picked up huge show down value.
    • But it doesn't really matter in this particular spot, SPR <1, we check he bets we're nevber folding.

Comment

• Turbulence
      Turbulence commented
      Editing a comment
      What Dilly said...at the end of the day you just got out drawn

Plus...your 3 bet OOP is a bit too small ideally wants to be 3.75-4.25 out of the blinds (or 4x for simples) 3x is fine for IP

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    • Preflop is fine, I'm not super well versed at this depth but is there any merit to going bigger? 50BB deep we're definitely not folding AK so the 4-bet jam isn't a concern.
    • After 3-betting pre, betting the flop isn't a lead, and I think doing so to take the initiative is the wrong way of thinking about it. We have a substantial range advantage ~40 of our ~100 combos here are TP or better, so we can c-bet our entire range here.
    • On the turn we have 27 combos of sets and straights, if we shove those, and shove our AXs misses we're actually close to perfectly balanced, so I think checking AK here makes sense as we've picked up huge show down value.
    • But it doesn't really matter in this particular spot, SPR <1, we check he bets we're nevber folding.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Point 1. Maybe I should go 4X pre or bigger? I myself would fold Ajo here, but maybe I gave him a too good price...

Point 2. With the range advantage should I really check back the flop?

Point 3. This is low stakes, so I am not entirely sure about creating a lot of balance by shoving Axs that totally miss. But then again, I have never had the guts to do it, so maybe it works

Point 4. Yes, I am already balls deep in this pot on the river if I check. On a 100 BBS stack I have more room to get away with a damaged, yet playable stack perhaps, if I call a big river value-bet. I can`t say surly I would not bust with 100 bbs stack also....that is one of my big leaks

I have to admit in retrospect that on the turn (edited) I got too obsessed with my "Kang" and shut down a bit.
    Last edited by PJ9; 04-16-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      1. I'm not positive about the sizing at this depth, but deeper we would want to be closer to 4X, I think his call with AJo is probably bad, more of a 4-bet or fold hand.
      2. I didn't mean to check the flop, just that it's not a lead bet, and the goal isn't to take the initiative, you already did that by 3-betting pre.
      3. Entirely fine at low stakes probably to just shove the nuts on the turn.
      4. If we bet turn, we give worse hands a chance to fold, if it goes XX turn XX river we often win. If Villain bets turn I still think we have to call down unless we're way over-folding as an exploit but I think that would be bad here. When we check turn and Villain bets turn, or when it checks through turn and villain bets river, I think we can call and win a decent chunk of the time.
Working...
X